Breakouts and Retests/Resistance becomes Support

_strange_

Breakouts and Retests/Resistance becomes Support

Post by _strange_ »

Hey Eric,

I have my chart from yesterday attached. I noted my interpretation of the chart and where/why I was looking for trades in certain areas and my thinking about it.

These horizontal areas, Mack never talks about them. You can almost always see key levels and then draw lines across and anticipate prices reacting there in the future. I wanted to ask you if what I am seeing is valid and I am interpreting the information correctly. These lines, if I keep up with them, dare I say, you dont even really need the EMA although it is certainly helpful as a overbought/oversold indicator. I dont have any example at hand, but soooo many times I will see a breakout and retest second entry on a level, almost always in a trend testing a previous high/low, and Mack will pass it up saying it didnt make it back to the EMA etc.

Am I seeing things correctly? I have noticed a very strong improvement in my trading accuracy when I wait for these transition areas combined with trendlines and all the other stuff we look for. However I dont want to drift onto something that doesnt matter and waste time. Maybe its only working like this for a spell, then the market changes or something.

What I cant unsee is that trades, corrections, second entries are pulling back and testing something strong on the chart, almost always, and when I keep up with these levels im almost always on the right side of the market. Yet mack doesnt really talk about this or lays it out in a way to understand. Maybe he has an innate ability to see this or maybe hes attempting to make his strategy as easy to understand as possible I dont know but he seems to wait for prices to actually react to an area instead of keeping up with them as the day goes on and anticipating these areas.

Have a look at my chart please, and if you have time, can you give some feedback?
Screenshot 2023-08-09 224444.png
Screenshot 2023-08-09 224444.png (945.48 KiB) Viewed 1971 times
_strange_

Re: Breakouts and Retests/Resistance becomes Support

Post by _strange_ »

More of the same today, cant unsee it now.
Screenshot 2023-08-10 101856.png
Screenshot 2023-08-10 101856.png (363.89 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
shoikan

Post by shoikan »

Hey, I've also clued into this the last few days and been tracking daily. I wasn't at my chart at the end of yesterday's trading day but I knew the trade you took would be a blue based on the new support coming in after a second test. I noticed it during my review and instantly marked it to compare against Mack's review.

I've been rewatching the lectures and I believe Eric has talked about it. I believe it's mentioned in the edge lecture on the second review.

I'm sure Eric will chime in and explain if we're nuts.
eric-pal

Post by eric-pal »

Nice work team!

What you are seeing is how orderflow works and the appropriate transitions which happen within the chart because of it. These are aspects of "breakout tests", and traders being trapped because of lack of overlap (meaning one side may have an imbalance because they are unable to "break even" or get out).

This has always existed within the markets, and appears illusive unless it is specifically highlighted. Then "some lightbulbs start going off" because there are important price points which often are retested.

If you recall from the 4.x series, initial emphasis isn't placed on the ema, unless it has proven itself to be worthy of being a prime S/R. Otherwise it is useful for observing overbought/oversold based on distance from the "mean price" - although this is not a primary reason to take a trade without other appropriate evidence.

Keep working through a great variety of charts and note these aspects to solidify the concepts!!
chasetrades

Post by chasetrades »

I've also been focusing a lot on horizontal alignment lately and it's been quite helpful in my trading. Here is a picture of my chart from today. The horizontal alignment was pretty evident.
Attachments
2023-08-11_20-34-05.jpg
2023-08-11_20-34-05.jpg (643.19 KiB) Viewed 1937 times